Join us at Data Talent: Scotland’s top data and AI recruitment event
Get the real-world experience you need to kick-start your career in data and AI
It takes more than good academic and technical skills to get your foot on the first rung of your career in data science. To get that dream job, you also need to have real-world experience and a good set of contacts. This is where The Data Lab Academy student placements come in.
We partner with many of Scotland’s leading firms, in a wide range of industries, to offer exciting paid placement opportunities for postgraduate students studying data science subjects.
Alongside the opportunity to get experience working in industry, our placements provide invaluable opportunities for students to apply their academic skills in an industrial setting. They also help with the development of essential workplace skills, including communication, teamworking and business problem-solving.
Why apply for one of our placements?
Successful applicants can benefit from:
- Sector-specific training in employability and communication skills.
- Access to networking events and The Data Lab Community Platform.
- Project driven paid data/AI focused placements with an organisation based in Scotland.
- Support during their placement from the The Data Lab Placements Team.
- The potential to develop an ongoing relationship with the host organisation with the possibility of future placement and/or employment (not guaranteed).
The Data Lab Academy Placements
At The Data Lab Academy, we offer a programme of workshops, networking events, master classes and a residential ‘innovation’ challenge. All are designed to enhance your employability skills and to kick start your career in data science. Taking part in the programme will also give you the opportunity to apply for a paid industrial placement. This will put you in a very strong position to get the best possible job.
What is a placement
The placements are between 8-12 weeks long and undertaken during the summer. Students will be employed by the host organisation and paid for the duration of their placement.
- Optional instead of your research project at the end of the MSc
- Forms the basis of your dissertation
- In-person or remote
- Paid the National Living Wage
- All Sectors/Industry Areas
- Open to all in The Data Lab Academy Programme
- No guarantee – dependent on availability of host organisations
For more on The Data Lab placements, get in touch