For more on how we can help your business secure the funding it needs, get in touch.
Unlock the funding your business needs
Thanks to our extensive network of contacts and collaborations, we are able to access a wide range of grants and other external funding mechanisms for data-science-based research and project development.
Our experienced funding team will work with your businesses to find the best financial assistance for your needs. We’ll then help you access any available money by providing advice and by assisting with applications, contacts and collaborations.
Who is this service for?
We can help a wide range of SMEs and other Scottish-based businesses and their academic and commercial research teams.
• If you have early-stage data-related technology or research you aim to commercialise, then we can help you access a wide variety of funding streams that will help bridge the gap between the lab and the commercial marketplace.
• If you are a start-up or spin-out organization, we can link you with vital funding to help you build your data-related R&D activities or other aspects of your work.
• If you are working on a transformational data project in any sector, then we can help you access the funding you need to progress. Projects should have the potential to address big problems, proposes a radical solution or enables the use of breakthrough or disruptive technology.
Why come to The Data Lab for funding help
Our experienced funding team will help you secure the funding you need by supporting in a number of ways:
- Grant application review – get a trusted advisor’s view on how to put your best foot forward.
- Vital network exposure – The Data Lab’s network spans all of Scotland meaning we are well-positioned to help you form strategic partnerships with industry, public sector bodies and across other academic institutions. Using our network, we can help you put together winning consortia.
- Funding Guidance – Our trained team can help you navigate the complex funding landscape to locate a suitable funding call for your needs.
- Partnership – The Data Lab may agree to partner with your consortium, leveraging the benefits of the Innovation Centre programme directly into your proposals.
- Collaborative project funding – We can help you access various funding streams for collaborative data science projects that are undertaken with academic researchers and organisations. For full details go to our Collaborate with Specialists section.
Proven success – Our team has supported a wide range of projects varying in size from £50K to £50M. We have a track record of success drawing on a number of funding sources and covering a wide variety of projects. Our successes include single-partner bids to multi-partner transformational funding. We have leveraged funds such as ISCF, EU Horizon, UKRI and others.
Get help with the paperwork
Find the best source of funding
Fund you transformational project
We provide additional strategic support to businesses through a number of other channels:
Develop your skills as a leader, learning how to use data and embed data literacy across your business on our 12-month leadership course.
Data Skills for work:
Develop the data literacy skills of your workforce by accessing grants for training.
Access our online courses to get your staff started and moving forward on their data journey.
Speak to one of our funding support team to find out how we can help your business.
Find out how we’ve helped Scotland’s businesses get the funds they need:
Scottish Canals: Regeneration of canals improves community health
Scottish Canals is the public corporation of the Scottish Government responsible for managing the country’s inland waterways and is determined to bring these once vital trade routes back to life. It has invested more than £84m in regenerating the Forth and Clyde Canals as part of its Millennium Link project. Funded by The Data Lab, […]
Driving Value from Data Case Study: NatureScot Supporting a Net-Zero Future
Biodiversity and nature play a key part in meeting climate change and net zero goals. NatureScot is Scotland’s nature agency responding to the twin crises of biodiversity loss and climate change. They work to protect and restore nature by inspiring everyone to value our natural world. Philippa Vigano, Innovative Technologies Programme Manager, recently completed our […]
News about our work helping Scotland’s businesses get the funds they need:
Scottish Labour leader sees pioneering AI solution for epilepsy diagnosis
Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar had the opportunity to view a pioneering AI software solution that could transform the diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy during his visit to the William Quarriers Scottish Epilepsy Centre (WQSEC). The research was undertaken at Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU), thanks to funding from The Data Lab and the William Quarriers […]
New English partnership extends reach of The Data Lab
The Data Lab, Scotland’s innovation centre for AI and data science, has signed its first partnership agreement south of the Border. It will work with The Data Shed – a leading Leeds-based data engineering consultancy focused on delivering data transformation projects that reduce business risk and on understanding the potential of data. The partnership will […]
The data of Zelda and the future of the gaming industry
By Marta Monellini, Marketing and Communications Assistant From Hogwarts to Hyrule – the entertainment industry has a new king! Until last week Hogwarts Legacy held the crown for the biggest boxed video game release of 2023, despite active boycott pledges and controversy. However, on Friday, Nintendo released Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, bringing the crown […]
Sign up to our newsletter
The Data Lab Community is a digital community created to enable data & AI professionals & enthusiasts to connect, collaborate, develop and learn.
Join our thousands of members for free today!