For more on how we can help your business secure the funding it needs, get in touch.
Unlock the funding your business needs
Thanks to our extensive network of contacts and collaborations, we are able to access a wide range of grants and other external funding mechanisms for data-science-based research and project development.
Our experienced funding team will work with your businesses to find the best financial assistance for your needs. We’ll then help you access any available money by providing advice and by assisting with applications, contacts and collaborations.
Who is this service for?
We can help a wide range of SMEs and other Scottish-based businesses and their academic and commercial research teams.
• If you have early-stage data-related technology or research you aim to commercialise, then we can help you access a wide variety of funding streams that will help bridge the gap between the lab and the commercial marketplace.
• If you are a start-up or spin out organization, we can link you with vital funding to help you build your data-related R&D activities or other aspects of your work.
• If you are working on a transformational data project in any sector, then we can help you access the funding you need to progress. Projects should have the potential to address big problems, proposes a radical solution or enables the use of breakthrough or disruptive technology.
Why come to The Data Lab for funding help
Our experienced funding team will help you secure the funding you need by supporting in a number of ways:
- Grant application review – get a trusted advisor’s view on how to put your best foot forward.
- Vital network exposure – The Data Lab’s network spans all of Scotland meaning we are well positioned to help you form strategic partnerships with industry, public sector bodies and across other academic institutions. Using our network, we can help you put together winning consortia.
- Funding Guidance – Our trained team can help you navigate the complex funding landscape to locate a suitable funding call for your needs.
- Partnership – The Data Lab may agree to partner with your consortium, leveraging the benefits of the Innovation Centre programme direct into your proposals.
- Collaborative project funding – We can help you access various funding streams for collaborative data science projects that are undertaken with academic researchers and organisations. For full details go to our Collaborate with Specialists section.
Proven success – Our team has supported a wide range of projects varying in size from £50K to £50M. We have a track record of success drawing on a number of funding sources and covering a wide variety of projects. Our successes include single-partner bids to multi-partner transformational funding. We have leveraged funds such as ISCF, EU Horizon, UKRI and others.
Get help with the paperwork
Find the best source of funding
Fund you transformational project
Grants currently available
If you’re looking to grow your Scottish manufacturing business through developing low carbon products, processes or services, you can apply for the LCMCF grant. Your project can use pure Research and Development (R&D), capital investment or environmental aid support in its effort to speed-up the transition to a low carbon economy in manufacturing. There’s a minimum value grant of £150,000 available.
Funding opens: 19 May 2022
Competition closes: 31 March 2026
UK registered organisations can apply for a share of up to £25 million for game-changing and commercially viable R&D innovation that can significantly impact the UK economy. This funding is from Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation.
Competition opens: Monday 25 April 2022
Competition closes: Wednesday 27 July 2022 11:00am
We provide additional strategic support to businesses through a number of other channels:
Develop your skills as a leader, learning how to use data and embed data literacy across your business on our 12-month leadership course.
Data Skills for work:
Develop the data literacy skills of your workforce by accessing grants for training.
Access our online courses to get your staff started and moving forward on their data journey.
Find out how we’ve helped Scotland’s businesses get the funds they need:
Property technology start-up grows team following placements
Grand Bequest is an Edinburgh-based PropTech start-up that uses AI and data to promote the redevelopment of vacant buildings and give them a new life. The company currently only operates in Scotland, but it is looking to expand across the UK and internationally in the future. We look at the positive impact that taking […]
Building a data model for the future of sustainable lighting
EGG Lighting EGG Lighting was born in 2013 and now delivers lighting solutions to a broad variety of commercial clients across Scotland and North England. They have gained a reputation for delivering pioneering circular economy projects in their sector. The 1st Challenge In September 2020, Innovate UK launched a ‘Manufacturing Made Smarter’ funding call, seeking […]
News about our work helping Scotland’s businesses get the funds they need:
Employability training Academy launched to tackle national tech staff shortages
The Data Lab, Scotland’s innovation centre for data and AI training, is expanding the content and reach of its industry-leading MSc programmes to include more specific employability skills training for students, to help address a worrying shortage of qualified workers across the Scottish tech sector. The new content, being offered to its MSc students via […]
Natural Power PhD develops power forecasting excellence
Natural Power has contributed to research that has resulted in a short-term (less than four hours) power forecasting system that demonstrates up to 20% improved forecast accuracy. The ability to accurately forecast minutes and hours ahead is essential for the continued growth of weather-dependent renewable energy generation, like wind and solar. Rosemary Tawn completed a […]
Saying goodbye to our 2021/22 The Data Lab MSc cohort
The Closing Event for this year’s The Data Lab MSc cohort took place on Wednesday 24th at BAaD in Glasgow. About 90 of our students, along with 30 of their supporters, project supervisors, industry sponsors, course leaders and our funders, turned up for a celebration which showcased our programme, our community and all our students […]
The Data Lab Community is a digital community created to enable data & AI professionals & enthusiasts to connect, collaborate, develop and learn.
Join our thousands of members for free today!