Driving Value From Data – Online Course
Grow your business, increase productivity, and drive value from data
Our online Driving Value From Data course takes you through the growth opportunities presented by data.
It will help you to champion data as a business opportunity to realise your company’s full potential. You’ll gain confidence to add value through better data use and be equipped with a complete data readiness assessment to integrate your learning.
You will learn how to transform your business into one that uses data effectively, with speed and certainty by understanding the value of data, how to create a culture of ethical data use, and where to start (without spending too much money).
We created this self-paced course based on the experiences of leading industry practitioners. We worked with them to ensure that the content was meaningful, practical, and actionable.
Who is this course for?
This course is for you if you are involved in making your organisation more data savvy, regardless of your seniority. You may be setting up data capabilities for the first time or taking steps to the next level of data maturity.
- Leaders and team members who are accountable for driving value within their organisation
- Business owners who need to understand the value of data, and how to monetise it
The course is not industry-specific and applies to learners across all sectors from anywhere in the world. Courses are completey self-paced and take approximately 20 hours to complete.
What will you learn?
- Improved data literacy, and how to maximise the value of data in your organisation
- An understanding of your organisation’s data readiness, and how to communicate this to stakeholders
- Create a roadmap for your transformational data strategy, with actionable steps, tips and tricks from expert practitioners
- Understand your organisation’s data readiness to understand data projects, and where investment is needed
Our courses are not technical and can be done at your own pace. They are guaranteed to have an impact on the way that your business uses data. These courses have been created specifically for those working in businesses or organisations – which differ from the traditional personal upskilling journey of other courses in this realm.
Module 1: Driving Value From Data
Outcome: A roadmap of what is possible for your organisation to achieve with data.
- Explore industry trends and their relevance to data
- Learn the value of personal data
- Discover similar organisations that have driven value and competitive advantage through data
- Identity where your organisation can maximise the value from data
Module 2: Case Studies and Data Analytics Maturity
Outcome: Assess your organisation’s data readiness through case studies, and by gaining a realistic view of how your stakeholders view your data readiness.
- Learn what resonates with various stakeholder groups, and how to communicate your value
- Discover different data maturity models, and map this to your organisation
- Brainstorm ideas for your next pilot, project, or experiment with a data focus
- Understand the financial value of data, and how to communicate this
Module 3: Creating your Full Data Readiness Assessment
Outcome: A complete roadmap for your transformational data strategy with actionable steps related to your ambition, strategy and investment.
- Bring your learnings together with meaningful and actionable steps
- Learn tips and tricks from industry leaders on pitfalls to avoid and tips for success
- Discover critical success factors for your data strategy
- Uncover the role of data science and machine learning in your strategy
Module 4: Tips for Successful Execution
Outcome: Create your action plan, understand the skills gap in your organisation, and get the tips you need for successful execution.
- Learn to communicate the monetary value of data
- Understanding a traditional asset versus a data asset
- Exploring data leadership, and why leadership is so important
- Create a roadmap to setting up, reskilling or upskilling your data team
Why study with The Data Lab?
The Data Lab is hosted by the University of Edinburgh and funded through Scottish Enterprise, Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the Scottish Government. We are a respected and trusted provider of professional development, business support and innovation within Scotland, the UK and beyond.
Our courses provide actionable material to make an immediate impact. You’ll get precise instructions, step-by-step guidance, relatable case studies, and valuable material to use in your work – all without the jargon. Plus, they’re entirely non-technical – meaning that anyone can benefit, regardless of previous data knowledge.
All courses from The Data Lab benefit from a digital badge on completion that is compatible with LinkedIn and an asset to your CV or portfolio. These official credits are emailed directly to you and are easy to integrate following course completion.
Beyond your learning, you’ll have access to The Data Lab Community – an online community of over 2000 data professionals and business leaders worldwide. You can join online learning groups, discussion boards, access events, job postings and more.
Explore our other learning and development offerings :
Speak to one of our team to find out more about the course
Find out more about the power of data:
Driving Value from Data Case Study: NatureScot Supporting a Net-Zero Future
Biodiversity and nature play a key part in meeting climate change and net zero goals. NatureScot is Scotland’s nature agency responding to the twin crises of biodiversity loss and climate change. They work to protect and restore nature by inspiring everyone to value our natural world. Philippa Vigano, Innovative Technologies Programme Manager, recently completed our […]
Data Leaders Case Study: Social Bite
Beginning life as a small café in Edinburgh in 2012, Social Bite has become an internationally renowned charity, supporting people facing homelessness or facing barriers to employment. In the last decade, it has also established several programmes, such as The Social Bite Village, free food provision, and globally renowned campaigns including Sleep in the Park. […]
News about our courses:
Scottish Labour leader sees pioneering AI solution for epilepsy diagnosis
Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar had the opportunity to view a pioneering AI software solution that could transform the diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy during his visit to the William Quarriers Scottish Epilepsy Centre (WQSEC). The research was undertaken at Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU), thanks to funding from The Data Lab and the William Quarriers […]
New English partnership extends reach of The Data Lab
The Data Lab, Scotland’s innovation centre for AI and data science, has signed its first partnership agreement south of the Border. It will work with The Data Shed – a leading Leeds-based data engineering consultancy focused on delivering data transformation projects that reduce business risk and on understanding the potential of data. The partnership will […]
The data of Zelda and the future of the gaming industry
By Marta Monellini, Marketing and Communications Assistant From Hogwarts to Hyrule – the entertainment industry has a new king! Until last week Hogwarts Legacy held the crown for the biggest boxed video game release of 2023, despite active boycott pledges and controversy. However, on Friday, Nintendo released Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, bringing the crown […]
Sign up to our newsletter
The Data Lab Community is a digital community created to enable data and AI professionals, academics, students and other enthusiasts to connect, collaborate, develop and learn.
Join our thousands of members for free today!