If you are looking to hone your data skills, upskill, reskill or specialise through an MSc in a data related subject, then we can help you.
Our programme offers a fully funded scholarship to cover tuition fees on one of our approved The Data Lab MSc courses in Scotland. But more than that, we will give you completely supported and FREE access to our unique programme designed to help you develop the non-technical skills that are essential to becoming a data scientist.
We have 75 scholarships and support courses in data science, data engineering, AI, business analytics, data analytics, financial technology and some non-STEM subjects. View the MSc courses at 11 Scottish Universities
The Data Lab MSc programme scholarship includes:
- A fully funded scholarship to cover tuition fees at on an approved The Data Lab MSc programme course at a The Data Lab partner university
- Sector-specific training in employability and communication skills*
- Access to networking events including a launch and closing event with presentations from industry experts, data scientists and The Data Lab Alumni, a Lunch & Learn programme throughout the year and free tickets for Data Talent*
- The opportunity to apply to undertake a paid industrial placement in Scotland
- An industry sponsored innovation and data challenge*
- Membership of The Data Lab MSc community platform with access to a network of expertise, mentoring and a jobs board*
- Membership of The Data Lab MSc Alumni LinkedIn group
- A certified MOOC on Data Ethics and Responsible Innovation*
*Core elements that must be completed by all The Data Lab MSc students.
So how will this programme prepare you for your next career step into a job in the data sector in Scotland?
Here’s what our students say:
I was a cancer research scientist when I started my journey to become a data scientist and the support and advice I received from the Data Lab was exceptional. They supported me through every stage of the process from updating my CV and helping me prepare for my interview, to liaising with my academic supervisors at Heriot-Watt. The team also helped me identify a field of study and matched me with employers that could offer me the experience I was looking for. Their guidance played a big role in launching my data science career and helping me secure a role at a global consultancy firm as their lead data scientist.
Rachana Patel, MSc Data Science 2020-21 Heriot-Watt University
Thank you for Data Talent! It was a really great day, well organised. I enjoyed every minute. Probably for the first time in my life I was prepared for the networking. Thanks to all your workshops, I had my CV ready, I talked to people and companies, asked questions and tried to make connections.
Aliaksei Auhustsinovich, MSc Data Engineering 2021-22 (part-time) ENU
Communicating, Collaborating and Presenting enabled me to develop persuasive presentation skills and work on how to structure my presentations. I had previous experience presenting but with mixed results. This workshop gave practical advice that made sense, great demonstrations from deliverer examples, plus opportunities to practise. Overall a great learning experience that will definitely help me communicate with more impact.
Student feedback 2021-22
It is always a good tactic to try approaching challenges in different ways and The Data Lab MSc’s Innovation and Development week did just that with a day-long session on Design Thinking. We learnt a structured way to think about a data problem from a design perspective which has given me a transferable skill that can be applied to many more tasks than I had realised. I previously worked in manufacturing and was aware of some aspects of a design process, but had never thought of applying it to data science. Participating in the fast-paced and hands-on Design thinking session has given me a new tool to improve the quality and relevance to the customers of any future work.
Working on a Data Challenge was a great opportunity to apply the knowledge gained during my MSc to a real-world problem. Working with new people, who have been on similar courses at different universities, meant that we all brought something unique to the problem we were given. During the day I learned to use new tools. The support given by the team at Filament was fantastic and a huge help in getting a result to a complex problem in a relatively short time.
Fraser Buchanan, MSc Artificial Intelligence and Applications 2020-21, Strathclyde University
How to apply for an MSc Scholarship
- Review our list of courses at partner universities and apply direct to the university of your choice.
- Let the university know that you wish to be considered for a The Data Lab MSc scholarship.
- If you are offered and have accepted a place at the university, you will be invited to complete a The Data Lab MSc scholarship application form (you can only have one application open at any one time.)
- We will review your submission, and let you and your university know the result.
- Once you have accepted the offer, we will formally invite you to join the programme.
- Good luck!