We invite course leaders at Scottish universities to apply to join The Data Lab Academy for the 2023-2024 academic year.
This opportunity provides scholarships for MSc students to participate in our employability, networking, and skills training programme alongside their academic studies at no cost. This world-class curated programme prepares students for the world of work in a supportive learning environment.
Since 2015, the programme has impacted over 1000 students across every Scottish university that hosts an MSc data degree.
Students on our programme will have access to a range of benefits, including:
- More than 50 hours of training spread across the academic year, tailored to maximise their employability
- Access to networking events with curated industry experts
- The opportunity to undertake in a paid industrial placement in Scotland
- An industry-sponsored residential Innovation Week Challenge
- An interactive master class on data ethics
- Access to a network of expertise through The Data Lab MSc Alumni and The Data Lab Community
- Activities linked to digital badges to demonstrate skills in networking, employability, ethics and innovation that students can showcase on their CV and portfolio
We are seeking applications from MSc and Integrated Master’s degree programmes in data, AI and related subjects. Integrated Masters students can join our programme on the completion of year three of their five-year degree.
We are especially keen to see new applications from MSc and Integrated Master’s degree programmes in computer science and software engineering, in addition to the more data and AI-focused degree programmes.
Degree programmes must be ready for delivery to commence in the 2023-2024 academic year and should demonstrate:
- A strong focus on data science, data engineering, AI, software engineering and/or computer science with data elements (ie: Databases, Machine Learning, Cloud Computing, SQL, NoSQL, Python, R)
- Data related programmes may also apply (ie: Data Analytics, Business Analytics, and STEM data courses)
- Innovation and creativity in programme delivery
- High standards and the teaching of data ethics with responsible data science / AI embedded throughout the degree programme
- A demonstrable commitment to maximising diversity in applicants
- Strong industry engagement
- Willingness (for new programmes) or evidence (for existing degree programmes) of engagement with The Data Lab Academy programme and support of The Data Lab Academy placement programme.
The application review and approval process will be identical to previous years, with successful universities awarded scholarship numbers to select the best candidates from their degree programmes. We normally only accept programmes that commence in October – however should you have a differing start time, contact us to discuss.
Ready to apply?
Note that this will open a new window in your browser. If you have not registered, you will be prompted to create an account. You can apply for any or all scholarship options available.
The closing date for applications is the 16th of January 2023 at midnight. Course leaders will be notified about the success or otherwise of their application week commencing the 30th of January 2023.
Where your university offers a suite of degree programmes with shared core content, please submit only one application (ie: MSc AI and MSc AI with Big Data should be considered for the application as a single degree programme with specialisms).
Scholarship candidates identified by universities will be required to complete a short application form for review and approval by The Data Lab Academy prior to confirming scholarships with students.
Thank you to the Scottish Funding Council for supporting this project, and to our partners Keboola, Accenture and Public Health Scotland.
If you have any questions, contact The Data Lab at TDL-Academy@thedatalab.com